Today on CNN Newsroom

December 8th, 2010

Where Were You?

It’s hard to believe it’s been 30 years since John Lennon; one of the great musicians of our time was shot and killed. He was taken from the world at a time when perhaps his greatest musical achievements still awaited him.

For many Lennon’s death is a landmark in time, a moment crystallized in history. It’s one of those moments where you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news. We’re sure many of you have stories to share and memories of John Lennon’s music and we want to hear from you. We’ll share some of your stories on CNN Newsroom with Kyra Phillips today at 9am and 10am ET.

Filed under: Kyra Phillips
  1. Silvina

I was 18, finishing Secondary School, in my beloved hometown Buenos Aires...All my friends and classmates called to offer me their condolences...They all knew how much John meant for me since I was 9 yrs old when I watched "Help" and fell in love with The Beatles.
    My daughter who is only 6, has become a fan already and she will be singing next week for her school holiday show "All you need is Love". Love you JOHN!!!

December 8, 2010 at 9:49 am |
  2. Kevin Fletcher

I was 10 years old, but I knew who John Lennon was – my older sister was a huge fan! I remember sitting on the front porch and witnessing my sister crying loudly. I was very confused and frightened. I didn't understand that she was crying hysterically over the death of a stranger – I thought a member of our family had died! She passionately informed me that his death was as terrible as if it had been a family member, then she moved to her bedroom where she sat silently for two days. Since then, I have always "understood" that John was a member of our family. As my sister says, "the most important family members, the one's who you 'choose'."

December 8, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  3. Frank Bustoz

I , like many young American boys was watching Monday Night Football, probably past my bedtime I might add, I was only 8 years old. I was particularly aware of who the Beatles were and more importantly, John Lennon as my mother was one of those Beatle-maniacs..and we had a healthy supply of Beatle records to boot. I remember Howard Cosell breaking the news...and I must say ...although I knew this was"big"...at that young of an age...I didn't know just how big...I didn't realize that 30 years later I would still be brought to tears when contemplating the incredible loss and huge tragedy that was his murder...John Lennon was not only a brilliant artist, but he was funny, moving, he inspired people and a whole generation! It's just a shame, and even more unbelievable today than it was for me all thos years ago!

December 8, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  4. Dan

Wow, 30 years ago already.

I was a senior in High School. I was a huge Beatles fan. I remember waking up the next morning to the news on TV. What a tragedy.

I know it was discussed all day in our classes.

Just a reminder to ALL: no one knows when their last breath on this earth will be.

Be ready.

December 8, 2010 at 11:53 am |
  5. Rick

I was just coming off a 3 month tour with Parliament-Funkadelics and has arrived at my then-girlfriends Christmas Party in Bethesda MD. I was about to turn the car off when the announcement was made. I knew instantly that it was to become a "where were you moment" similiar to the passing of RFK, Otis Redding and more recently Elizabeth Edwards.

Lennon's untimely death was yet another example of innocence lost.

December 8, 2010 at 12:48 pm |
  6. Stevereeno

I was 19, nearly my 20th birthday, riding in a car with two friends, we stopped and sat in on the side of the road in utter shock while they described his tragic shooting death.
    Born in Long Island New York in 1961, the Beatles music dominated our home,...my older brother and sister had posters and records so their influence was unavoidable. Thier music, played on the radio was always there in my life. I have a friend who became a huge 'Breakfast with the Beatles' DJ. I've seen McCartney 5 times in concert (a thrill each time) and once he was three feet from me car to car looking at one another him waving and pumping his fist in the air and popping off the peace signand thumbs up.

I think John Lennons' voice has been sorely missed as social commentary, however, each of the Beatles shared the same views about love, religeon, peace and war. Why wouldn't they, after all, they're views all formed, forged together as kids on the same school block so to say,....all through their formative young career and it's no doubt that those ideas would last into their later adult lives.
    Peace,...love,...God,...wars,...politics.

It's sad that John's music was put to an end because he surely would have remained creative. The Beatles kids all say; 'Dad was always playing the guitar around the house.' They couldn't stop it,...the music just happens in them. It's why McCartney's still playing,...he can't stop.

Rest well John Lennon.
    Rot long Mark Chapman.

December 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  7. Peter

I was working in a darkroom in Brooklyn when a friend phoned to tell me. We got two other friends and raced in my car uptown and parked nearby. All I remember of it was sitting alone on the back of a park bench across from The Dakota, looking up at the 7th floor and sobbing to myself. It was about midnight and the crowd outside the apartment wasn't that deep yet. None of us could believe it, I kept wanting to wake up thinking it was a dream. I remember there being a very light drizzle that night and the chill in the air was awful. A few days later we were in Central Park for the memorial and all I remember about that was the whirring of helicopters overhead when everyone was asked from the stage for a moment of silence.

December 8, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  8. Shady

I remember walking out out the kitchen and witnessed my mother burst out in tears and my father trying to console her with a look of shock on his face. They were both in front of the stereo in the living room. I didn't understand what had happened since I was only 4 1/2 @ the time.

The next day my mother sat me down and showed me her Beatles records that she would play and the old L.A. Herald Examiner with the headline that John Lennon was slain. She explained to me who he was and what he represented.

She's still amazed that I remembered this sad event in history.

December 8, 2010 at 2:41 pm |
  9. Joe G.

When John Lennon was killed I was living in New York City just 34 blocks north of the Dakota. I was working as a crew member on TV commercial productions. The morning of the shooting I reported for work at the Electric Circus disco where we were scheduled to film a mouth wash commercial. It was very early as is customary for start times of film productions and I had not yet heard any news. Everyone at the job site looked sad and when I asked why I learned of Lennon's death. I remember thinking how ironic it was that I should hear the news of the death of one of the greatest rock and rollers in a disco. i was devastated as Lennon was my hero both musically and politically.

December 8, 2010 at 8:13 pm |
  10. Jimmie Johnson

I live in Kentucky. I was 24 years old. Like so many others, I was watching Monday Night Football. I was in complete shock. I was the first to tell my brother and some friends who were just coming in from a night out. Days later I mourned by myself in my room. I did not know where to go in my rural area for a public vigil. Today it still ranks as one of the sadest days of my life. It is as rememberable as the deaths of JFK, MLK and RFK. John Lennon's legacy is expressed by his continued influence on so many generations. Few have contributed more to promoting peace. None have contributed more in as short of a life.

December 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm |