Today on CNN Newsroom

February 3rd, 2011

Should Rep. Gabrielle Gifford's Husband Go to Space?

Leave your comments here.

Filed under: Ali Velshi • Anchors
  1. Barbara Johnson

Don't you have something else to discuss? Is this anyone's business except the two of them?

February 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
  2. Eddie

Re: Should Mark Kelly command the shuttle and leave his wife for a few weeks to do so? Leave it alone, Ali. It's none of our business or yours. It's a private family matter and you ought to find something better to discuss.

February 3, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  3. Maria

This is an unfair question to pose. None of us are in a position to judge. This is a personal decision with variables that none of us are privy to. I am a little disappointed that this is being subjected to a poll. He has enough to worry about without having to add the public judgement of whatever decision he makes.

February 3, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
  4. Amitoj

Why shouldn't he go to space? When terrorists attack this country we we are told to come together and move on so that the terrorists don't win. When Jared Lee Loughner, the terrorist attacked the people in Tuscon, Arizona, he probably wanted us to live in fear, so he could get his sick idea through.

February 3, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  5. garth phillips

If family isn't the most important thing in your life, I fear you may have taken a wrong turn. As a man who lost his wife to cancer, I believe that my wife's spirits were lifted everyday she saw me.

February 3, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  6. Sue T.

Love your show because you present the day's news in a classy way and you cover important issues THOROUGHLY...very few "soundbites".

I have to say that this question that you posed (or one of your producers posed) today is really out of character for your show. Congresswoman Giffords and her husband Astronaut Mark Kelly were thrown into a very BIG public spotlight when she was shot. What Astronaut Kelly decides to do about his space trip is a private decision. The public should not be asked to voice an opinion on it. This question is more typical of "Access Hollywood" or "Entertainment Tonight"....very much out of character for the Ali Velshi show. We expect better of you, and we almost always get it.

February 3, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  7. Nancy Newcomer

Since she is communicating, that's between her and her husband. Oh, I get it, because his service is in behalf of our nation, you're trying to get a survey if WE approve of him going back to work. Again, that's between her and her husband.

Oh yes, it's the whole prep time. You don't just popup and head out on a space mission. You have to prepare, and be emotionally 100% present. It's not about her, it's about him. You may want to send another astronaut on the April mission. It's not leaving her bedside in April, it's leaving her bedside right now and staying absent. He should probably be grounded in 2011.

February 3, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  8. Dennis Linville

A partner in life should always find comfort at least one person will be there no matter what the situation and only they deserve the right to decide which is the best way of doing so.
    What ever their decision,I hope Ms. Gifford will have a full and speady recovery
    American

February 3, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  9. Helen Kolodey

I think Giffords' husband should go on his space trip if he wants to go. I spent some time in rehab after suffering a hemorrhagic stroke and they kept me pretty busy. She will be cared for very well while in rehab, so, it's really a great time for him to go.

February 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  10. Lyn

CNN should be ashamed to post such an inappropriate question on what is supposed to be a serious news program. If you feel the need to stoop down to the level of Dr. Phil or some tabloid talk show, then I think I will stick with MSNBC!

February 3, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  11. Frank

I feel horible that she is hurt and suffering from the lunatic that shot her , I wish her only the best for her recovery . He is suffering too and under great stress , I would question weather he could have the ability to set all of this aside to comand a space shuttle mission ! as we have seen this can be a tricky thing on a good day , We need no more national tragedies Please !!!
    I understand he has trained for the mission and is a great amercan ......in a situation like this there can be no distractions , and I would fear the rest of the crew would have to carry more of his load and double & tripple checking his every step & action .

Thank you for you time and thoughts on this .

February 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  12. Mack

This is like Egypt, it's none of our business.

February 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  13. Jerry

Are you serious? whats it to you?

February 3, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  14. Listener-in-Mass

None of our business. And you should not be even talking about this private issue.

And while I am here, please get rid of that stupid Magic Wall, or figure out how to use the stupid thing.

February 3, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  15. Stefan Phillips

I suffered a brain anuersym and two major strokes two years ago.
    As I was lying in the hospital bed recouping, I realized it was 4th of July and that we had planned a family camping trip. I told my wife she should go. It's a personal decision between family members. I'd tell him to go make history, I'll be here when you get back. It's not up to us to decide and it's wrong for anyone to judge their decision.

February 3, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  16. J. A. Quaytman, Ph.D.

Hi, Ali...I've got to echo the comments of numerous other viewers who described this question as insensitive, intrusive and, basically, NOYB. However, it also adds to a growing impression that CNN is morphing into "Entertainment Tonight", as more of its reporters, anchors seem to be probing for or pandering to the appetites of sensationalists or emotional junkies normally associated as the audience of other networks. I certainly hope your network execs aren't pressuring their journalists to lower the network standards just to pick up those types of viewers...I WANT MY NEWS, not a "B" movie. Remember, resistance is not "futile"....

February 3, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  17. Rosemary Cress

I think that it is a decision between husband and wife. She knew he was an astronaut when she married him. This is his job. He is a professional and according to his twin brother, he is capable of focusing on his work. Yes, he can be with her daily now, but he is not really involved with her therapy. He won't be gone all that long and she can work on her rehab while he is away. How would she feel if she realizes that she was the reason he did not go?

February 3, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  18. Sue from Syracuse

NOYB & NOMB. Give them space. Dont judge. The situation is hard enough as it is. God Bless them. Whatever they decide between themselves and his boss, it is the correct decision for all.

On Loughner: Dont call the shooter a nutcase. He planned it as it is becoming quite obvious and he has tried and may be succeeding in manipulating people – dont let him control your mind into thinking he was crazy.

CNN needs to INCREASE news content that is meaningful. Dont become ambulance chaser. There are many deeply important issues that can be covered. PLEASE reduce opinion content and chatter.

And, please dont advertise those sex pills and dating sites during family viewing hours - when those come and kids are around, I switch off channel. Please reduce moving lights on the screen – it hurts eyes. Thank you..

February 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  19. Sue from Syracuse

Request:
    As you know, Gabby Giffords is watching CNN.

I have a MAJOR request for CNN to not put Palin's face on the TV for a month or two at least.

THANK YOU.

February 3, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  20. connie maltin

It is fantastic that Commander Kelly is going on Endeavor. I am sure that is what his wife would want for him and the country, and he surely did not make the decision lightly. The US Space program is so important and the children in this country need to keep inspired to study science, in whatever capacity.

February 4, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  21. Shira, NYC

I believe Commander Mark Kelly should keep his mission. From what we have learned about this amazing family this past month, I have no doubt in my mind that Representative Gabrielle Giffords would not want her husband to abandon his mission in the sake of her recovery. These seem like two incredible individuals that went for the dream and we all have to salute that.

February 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  22. Gwen

Of course he should go. It is his personal decision not to be influenced by opinion polls.

February 4, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  23. Ann, USMC

Great question, and more people should be concerned, as tax payers we are funding these flights, he will be leading a crew, we will oversea a billion dollar flight. Will his mindset be there fully, there is little room for error in space travel. As a wife of a Marine. I want my husband leader to go into a situation with a clear head. How can he fully lead a crew into space, and very stressfull job? That should be questioned? What if her health fails fast an hour into his flight and she only has a few hours to live. Is the American public going to feel when he choice space travel over supporting a spouse near death? Will they accept him turning the craft around and spending millions on a return flight to go to her funeral? Millions. There are so many important positions he could do. Great questions and the when you are paid and educated, and work for the American public, you are open to all questions. Great question. Ann, military wife

February 14, 2011 at 6:22 am |