Today on CNN Newsroom

March 9th, 2011

Daisy Khan talks about Muslim Radicalization hearings

Click here to see Daisy Khan, the co-founder and executive director of the American Society for Muslim Advancement, talk about the Muslim Radicalization hearings with Ali Velshi.

Filed under: Ali Velshi
  1. Southgate Jo

When we look at events across the world that cause horrendous loss of life ...the word Muslim nearly always comes up. When we watch news programs as radical Muslim's burn the American flag and threaten us constantly with death, and destruction...Don't you think it's a good idea to maybe, perhaps, possibly, to look into the status of all Muslims in America?

Then we see Karam Dana on television saying how gentle and honest the Muslim community is? Shouldn't we be at the very least, suspicious? Or perhaps do we deserve to be so fickle as to accept the wolf dressed as the lamb?

What is wrong with keeping close tabs on a religious nation that has constantly called America their enemy, and has threatened us all with death? Way to go Representative King. America is with ya !!!!

If I were the Muslim community I would certainly consider the consequences of another Muslim attack on America. I'm kind of thinking that America won't be so kind hearted in the future folks ...If I were you I would consider cooperating with the FBI and turning in the bag guys planning things in America. In my humble opinion, I think the Muslim religion has pushed America just about as far as it's going to....

March 9, 2011 at 9:29 am |
  2. BobG

Americans have always needed a "boogey man" upon which to pin their angst. From George III to Adolf Hitler to Saddam Hussein, there has always been a personification of an enemy around which American opposition could rally.

However aside from the shadowy Osama Bin Laden, there's no face to put on the American war on terror. Therefore, some factions of our elected officiate have chosen an entire religious group to target as the "bad guy."

We've all seen the mystery chain emails and heard the fringe groups that allege virtually all major 21st century terror situations have Islam as their common thread. Still, I believe that reasonable individuals will view the current hearings as an overblown attempt at villifying all for the misdeeds of a few.

March 9, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
  3. kurt metzler

Rep. King's idea stinks. it smells of racial profiling. the last time I heard racial profiling is illegal. where is he going to stop. is he going to pick on the Jews or the Irish or Germans. he needs to be stopped.

March 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  4. Dr. Mahmoud El-Begearmi

Dear Ali,
    Mr. Peter King’s hearing is wrong in many aspects. 1. His claim of 80 % of American mosques are radicalized has no basis or documented proofs. 2. Those who are radicals, the best way to deal with them is expose them by pointed out facts from the Quran and the Sonna (tradition of the Profit, peace be upon him), that discredits radical Imams. 3. Muslims are the only group that always panted with wide brush, as pointed out in your show talking about the RIA. We did not hear the media or and others describing Irish or the Pop are radicals, after the RIA’s killing Christmas shopping in London a number of years ago. 4. Speaking from my personal experience, I was an Imam of the Islamic Center of Maine, Oromo, ME. For over 20 years before retiring in 2006. I was called upon to talk about Islam after 9, 11 2001. In tens of churches and service clubs throughout Maine. I was also questioned by the FBI many times then. 5. The timing of the hearing is also very unfortunate, when revolution for democracy throughout the Arab and Muslim countries. I would appreciate if you could point out some of these points. Thank you.

March 9, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  5. Tothiwim

American Muslims should publicly identify and denounce any radicals and sympathizers they know about. This is all the more important because of the danger that suicide bombers and wmd available to the radicals present. Unfortunately, we are dependent on American Muslims showing more courage and patriotism than the Germans did in controlling the Nazis, the Japanese did with their military, and white America did with the Ku Klux Klan.

March 10, 2011 at 9:32 am |
  6. Karen

Hey, when I heard about these hearings, I thought it was racial profiling. However, I have been watching the hearing in its entirety this morning on CSPAN. I have found it to be very educational and I have learned more about radicalization exponentially. It will be on again at 10p ET. Let's all try to understand eachother, keep open minds and find ways to prevent radicalization of our children/young adults (age 15-29) in the U.S. just like we have tried to prevent at risk teens from joining gangs and becoming indoctrinated in that lifestyle.

March 10, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
  7. Bill Komendant

First I believe that there is a difference between politcally correct and the hard truth. One cannot deny that the majority of violence seems to reside in the Muslim world. However we need to realize that zeroing in the Muslim could have unfortunate consequence much like what happened to the American Japenese during WWII.

March 10, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
  8. Stephen Charchuk

When Karam Dana says that Islam is compatible with American politics and the democratic process does he also include Shari'a Law in with that as well? Shari'a Law is very undemocratic, especially towards women.

There is currently a movement in England to replace their laws with Shari'a Law. Could that happen in America eventually? Separation of Church and State doesn't just mean keeping Christianity out of it, but any religious belief system.

March 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm |