Today on CNN Newsroom

March 16th, 2011

Big I: Tsunami Shelter

In today's Big I, Miguel Serrano talks about his invention for a Tsunami Shelter. You can find more information in this youtube video.

Filed under: Ali Velshi • The Big I
  1. Emenot

Hi Ali:

While I applaud you for your good willed enthusiasm for the Tsunami Survival Shelter, I think Miguel Serrano's claim of invention is nothing but a death trap and here are reasons of my doubts:

1) With what can you tether with and to against the force of a tsunami and the debris flow ferocity that are the most dangerous?

2) Of this design, if sideway colision happens the pressure of the tsunami and its debri field will snap this into pieces if it was assembled in sections!

3) He claimed that this can hold 50 to 70 people, what about oxygen, waste storage that goes along with his claim for several days of survival.

This Miguel Serrano is nothing but a fraud with this so call Tsunami Survival Shelter!

March 16, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  2. KatWoman28

The Tsunami Shelter thing is a super innovative idea. We have anti-nuclear bunkers, storm shelters but not tsunami shelters and the mere fact that you can save up to 70 lives seems priceless to me.

March 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  3. Chuck C

This seems like a great idea, but how do you keep them secure until they are needed for use? I remember growing up in the 60's and 70's and there were numerous fallout shelters created in subway stations, underground garages, etc. Unfortunately, people broke into the food stores, ate all of the freeze-dried foods, drank all of the water, took all of the blankets and medical supplies...

March 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  4. Sharyn

The tsunami shelter is a great idea......hope it becomes reality!

March 16, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  5. Michael Armstrong Sr. Tx.

That shelters pretty cool but I would rather head for higher ground because of different reasons such as the cable holding it in place would it be long enough and other factors such as cars and houses crashing into the thing would it stay tied up or would a hole get knocked into it and sink yep gotta say running for the hills would be better .

March 16, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  6. John B.

BIG I segment on Tsunami Shelter showed a 'fake' photo of Shelter in Water. A Tsunami Shelter would not be feasible (i.e. Libeboat on Ship)
    due to training required for users. Totally impractable for children and elderly.

I do not this segment represented responsible or sensible reporting and the segment should not be repeated or mislead people into thinking that this rescue pod is viable rescue for Tsunami.

I have been following CNN exclusively for my news regarding Japan Quake and Tragedy of Tsunami and this 'Tsunami Shelter' segemt was just improper and irresponsible reporting.
    Sincerely
    John B.

March 16, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  7. William Miller

The tsunami shelter is commendable in it's effort to find a solution to a problem. In an environment that experiences frequent tsunami events it may be justifiable. Unfortunately there are no such environments on earth. The capacity of 75 people would require to many to be deployed to assure that people would have access to them. It would be viable for schools and other high density facilities. I think it would be much wiser to stop building communities in areas that are prone to these types of events. We wouldn't be having this discussion if Japan had built all of these communities on higher ground. The damage would have been minimal and the loss of life almost nonexistent. We could instead be talking about the loss of crops and admiring the incredible forces of nature.

March 16, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  8. Albert

At first time when generators failed, instead to bring new generators on site, they were trying run pumps on batteries. I use to running large construction sites; therefore I am familiar with power of generators. They are coming in many capacities. If they don’t have in Japan any, USA would be able to deliver them with short time from army base close by.
    I would like have explanation for it; if is any. That thing could be dropped with helicopter without any problems.
    Anybody can explain?
    moderation.

March 17, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  9. Eli

The STATIM shelter is an amazing concept !, and I congratulate all people trying to find better alternatives and solutions to many of the worlds problems.

It seems as the same approach as a lifeboat in a cruise ship, which is widely accepted principle and saves lives. Maybe needs training, refinement and testing, but looks fine to me, and not to mention about the only approach out there...

Miguel, keep moving ahead... and ALI, keep bringing us such interesting topics and ideas as to motivate more people to start working in the next BIG I... 🙂

March 17, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  10. Genevive Finazzo

January 28, 2021 at 9:57 pm |
  11. cbd oil and otc sleeping pills

Good site you have here.. It's difficult to find high quality
    writing like yours these days. I honestly appreciate people like you!

Take care!!