Today on CNN Newsroom

April 1st, 2011

Ring or No Ring?

Prince William isn't planning to wear a wedding ring, once he ties the knot with Kate Middleton later this month. The palace says the Prince just isn't into jewelry, and didn't want to wear one. Kate is apparently OK with it too. But what do you think? Should the possible future King of England sport a wedding ring like his father, Prince Charles? Send us you comments, and be sure to tune in at 6am eastern for CNN Saturday with TJ Holmes. We'll read some of your responses on air throughout the show, so weigh in and take part.

Post by:
Filed under: CNN Newsroom
  1. David de L

Upper class English gentlemen only wear a signet ring on the little finger of the left hand. They NEVER wear a wedding ring. Period.
    The palace is being diplomatic with the reason.

April 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  2. Lyne

Mine hubby stopped wearing his because his fingers swelled up and he no longer could wear it so I wear it now, not a big deal to me 🙂
    Btw, we've been together for 35yrs

April 2, 2011 at 6:31 am |
  3. Rob

I am an electrician and wearing jewlery can be a dangerous thing. My wedding ring is in a drawer and has been there for 8 years - That ring is a symbol but not a deffinition of my love for my wife. It does not strengthen my commitment nor insure my fidelity. My wife understands this and is ok with it (at least that is what she says)

April 2, 2011 at 6:31 am |
  4. Arturo Scultz

It just isn't anyones business but theirs and will anyone not recognize him with or without a ring and think he's single ?

April 2, 2011 at 6:32 am |
  5. Ann

Who cares? My husband & I have been married 36 yrs and he doesn't wear a ring. in fact, I rarely do either. My parents were married 57 yrs and my father didn't wear one. My husband's father didn't either and they were married 45 yrs (until he died). A ring does not a happy, successful marriage make!

April 2, 2011 at 6:32 am |
  6. Jo

I'm not surprised that he doesn't want to wear a ring. It's dangerous for military pilots to wear a ring of any sort. And...I think everyone in the world will know he's a married man anyway.

April 2, 2011 at 6:34 am |
  7. kim phillips

Who in the world doesn't know that the man is married? A ring won't stop other womam from bad behavior. I respect the fact that he isn't a jewelry man and that Kate is secure in her marraige. Go Kate!

April 2, 2011 at 6:36 am |
  8. Daniel Rando

Good Morning TJ. I've been happily married for 18 years with no ring.
    The wedding ring is actually a product of the Babilonian times.
    Like the Sunday Sabbath. Christmas. Easter. You get the point.
    Love is in the heart. Besides It dont stop prowling singles anyways.
    Some time ago there was a fad called a jerk ring. LOL Didn't work!
    The next question is : Why William?
    lol he probably doesn't wear any bling at all. Have a nice day.

April 2, 2011 at 6:36 am |
  9. Beth from Eastern Panhandle WV

Much of the hoopla regarding the wedding and he's NOT going to wear a ring? The celebration they will endure for many days drenched in tradition–and a wedding ring is not going to be part of all that tradition? Hmmm....it certainly leaves much to be speculated; however, he will have a huge crown to wear–so, maybe he thinks wearing a ring is overated. Personally, I prefer my husband to wear a ring. Although it does not matter to some cheaters because the ring is only a symbol and tradition in many American weddings. However, being a Royal fan–the fairy-tale should include rings to be exchanged. It's hard to believe that the wife-to-be is 'okay' with that. ;-D

April 2, 2011 at 6:37 am |
  10. Lisa

my husband & i will be married 30 years on April 10th. my husband doesn't wear a ring. he was never a jewelry guy to begin with. when we bought our rings, he accidentally tried his on on his right hand. after we got home with it we discovered it was really loose when he wore it on his left. about a month after the wedding, he was climbing on some big boulders, & it fell off. it was lost forever. we never replaced it. we are still happily married after all these years even though he doesn't wear a ring. i don't think it's a big deal at all. not all men like wearing jewelry.

April 2, 2011 at 6:38 am |
  11. Charles M

Since going to war in the Middle East I stopped wearing my ring for fear I would lose it or have it stolen. Of course it wouldn't fit me today as I have fatter fingers. Of course it helps when my wife never objected when I stopped wearing it. We have been married 24 years now and she knows a ring does not change my love for her.

April 2, 2011 at 6:40 am |
  12. Debby

Their marriage is going to be shown all over the world. Everyone will know they're married. It's not a big deal.

April 2, 2011 at 6:43 am |
  13. Adelaid

First of all what is his understanding of the wedding ring? is he tseeing it as a physical commitment to his marrige or a piece of jewelry? I'm personally not a ring person but I don't think is appropriate for the future king not to wear his marriage ring after tieing the knot. The ring sybolises that you are taken, you belong to another heart (somebody ) and especailly to the public, it drives the hungry folks looking for a partner away. The ring tells it all. I think with or without a ring if the person wants to cheat on the other, he or she will. Marriage is truely commitment in the heart but in the world were we're limited to see what is in the heart or the internal stuff than the physical ones, the ring is what will make us recognize him as a marriage fellow. Ofcourse Kate will be Ok with it. If it's me I'll be Ok too cause after all it's the marriage that I wanted and not the ring. But we always forget about the future implication. Goodluck to Both of them and Congratulations!!!

April 2, 2011 at 6:44 am |
  14. Kristine

If it is OK with Kate, than that's their personal choice. My husband doesn't wear a wedding ring because it would pose a hazard on the job; he surprised me with a custom tattoo on his finger weeks after the wedding. It's his solo tattoo & pretty special to me!!

April 2, 2011 at 6:49 am |
  15. Adelaid

It's ok for a man not to wear his marriage ring but please if he's a public figure, I suggest he wears his wedding ring all the time when he's going out. He can remove it when he gets in the house or when he's indoors but if he's to be going outside the house, meeting people and especailly might be seen with women, I strongly suggest he wears it. Period

April 2, 2011 at 6:50 am |
  16. Leslie

It's not my place, or anyone else's to say whether or not he "should" wear a ring. It's his choice, period. WHY do people think they have the right to say what decisions others should make in their personal lives? If he wants it that way, and Kate is okay with it, that should be the end of the discussion!

April 2, 2011 at 7:01 am |
  17. chris maier detroit

i am not married, but if i was i could never wear a ring. i was engaged once and i love jewelry and wear a necklace and bracelet 24/7, however i can not wear or get used to a ring, it drove me nuts so my fiancee had no problem with me not wearing a ring.

April 2, 2011 at 7:03 am |
  18. Ellie Kruszewski

TJ: My husband did not wear his wedding ring for the first 25 years of our marriage. The ring on the finger is just to let others know you are taken. Eveyone will know William is taken. The ring around the heart is much more important!

April 2, 2011 at 7:04 am |
  19. G. Talbot

Love is in the heart not the ring. It's a matter of trust, If you think the ring will save the marriage. Then you must have a problem with insecurity and trust.

April 2, 2011 at 7:04 am |
  20. Phil Hubartt

35 years ago when my wife and I were married we bought a wedding ring set. I wore a size 9 ring. I now wear a size 15. William must be thinking ahead that his ring size will also change over the years.

April 2, 2011 at 7:06 am |
  21. G. Talbot

I have been married 25 years of my life and never wore a ring. A ring means nothing. Hope your marriage isn't built on materialism.

April 2, 2011 at 7:06 am |
  22. Jim Mannion

My wife doesn't wear hers and I have no problem with that.

April 2, 2011 at 8:27 am |
  23. Tony Taylor

Unless we are the couple to be wedded, I believe this is one of those things that falls under the title of 'None of Our Business', even in the case of the royal couple.

April 2, 2011 at 8:28 am |
  24. Paula Adwell

Of course, men should have the choice of wearing a wedding ring or not. Prince William is being his own person by not wearing a ring. Kate is certainly secure enough in their love to not be threatened by that choice, which I understand was made jointly. My husband does not wear a wedding ring, and I support that. If I decided not to wear my ring for some reason, I know he would support me in that also. Trust is the important word here. We do not own each other, we are in a partnership that is based on love, trust and honesty.

One more thing, in William's occupation, jewerly of any kind can be a danger to him.

Thanks

April 2, 2011 at 8:29 am |
  25. MJ

Depends on your husband's occupation. My guy has not worn his wedding band for 41 years for good reason.....direct contact each and every day with engine rebuilding equipment. Safety first! Plus, actions speak much louder than jewelry!

April 2, 2011 at 8:31 am |
  26. day

My father exited an airplane while in the Air Force, during the 50's. His wedding ring caught on the side and ripped everything off leaving the exposed bone. They reattached it but it didn't live. Not having the finger was never a problem however dad says Prince William shouldn't wear a ring!

April 2, 2011 at 8:31 am |
  27. Annis Hopkins

This is really a silly question. Since NO person is REQUIRED to wear a wedding ring, it is simply a matter of personal (and partnership) taste, and if he feels physically safer without a ring, why in the world would he wear one? I take mine off to play golf, because it creates a blister if I don't. It's just a ring, for heaven's sake! It's like baptism–"an outward physical sign of an inward spiritual truth" (per the Presbyterian articles of faith). The outward sign is relatively unimportant.

April 2, 2011 at 8:57 am |
  28. Tom

The ring on the finger can be removed but the one through nose is there for good...

April 2, 2011 at 9:02 am |
  29. Jyl

My husband didn't want to wear a wedding ring so, being a reasonable person, I gave him a choice. A tattoo on his forehead saying, "I'm married", or wear the ring. He's been wearing his ring for over 25 years now!

April 2, 2011 at 9:11 am |
  30. Suzy

Prince William should not be forced to wear a ring...it ain't no big deal! My husband of 24 years and I rarely wear our wedding rings. We know we're married, we're in love, and we don't need a ring to prove it.

April 2, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  31. Todd Horne

If you believe your marriage requires a ring to keep your spouse faithful, you probably shouldn't be married. Trust is the key, not a few ounces of metal. It is a choice and I respect his choice not to wear one.

April 2, 2011 at 9:21 am |
  32. Marge Forbes

T J, where in the world could this young man go and not be recognized
    as the Prince of Wales who got married on April 27? Not much chance of him Cheating on his Wife.
    although there is always someone out there who does not care if there is a ring or not. Let's hope he really loves her!!!!!

April 2, 2011 at 9:21 am |
  33. Mon2noo

This seems like a tempest in a teapot, get real here, please. As a former military pilot and career commercial pilot, I always removed my ring before flight for safety purposes. In the cockpit there are hundreds of electrical circuit breakers, and wiring patterns, a constant risk of electrical shocks. He is an active helicopter pilot, I would expect him to prefer not wearing the ring at all rather than the constant on and off method, slipping it onto his id tags chain, or even losing it over time. I like this Officer, he's setting a good example of "safe flight".

April 2, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  34. Hugh

I cannot understand why this is such a controversy. I was born and raised in the UK. It is not the British custom for men to wear wedding rings, particularly men of high social status such as the prince.

Wearing a ring is strictly optional and a matter of individual taste and preference in the UK. I cannot think of one of my many married, English male friends who sports wedding ring.

April 2, 2011 at 9:25 am |
  35. Tim Wanda

My wife and I don't wear wedding rings. We will be married 25 years this July 13th. We had a simple wedding after church service one Sunday and invited anyone who wanted to stay to join us. After we got married we had factory jobs that made it unsafe for us to wear our rings and our ring sizes changed as well . We'd like to get them re-sized one day but it was on the back burner. Our minister changed later and 14 years afterwards he told us we are the only couple he married who stayed together. Our point is, place the emphasis on the marriage not the wedding or the symbolic details. The wedding only lasts one day and rings are only material in value but the marriage hopefully will last forever. If Prince William decided not to wear a ring it's no big deal there are more important things to be concerned about.

April 2, 2011 at 9:43 am |
  36. Toni

It is what is felt on the inside and not what is flashed on the outside!

April 2, 2011 at 9:44 am |
  37. Stephen

Alot of men are just not into wearing jewlery, you can tell by the lack of wearing watches these days, its more of a woman thing to wear rings and the like, who gets the engagement ring?...the woman.....its ok not to sport a wedding band as long as the band is around your heart.

April 2, 2011 at 10:31 am |
  38. Izzie

I personally believe that he should wear the ring IF he is with Kate and his family. But, unless he is working with big machines or such, he should wear it. Or if he thinks he might lose it.

April 2, 2011 at 11:03 am |
  39. Alessandra Cuyler

The whole world is going to know he is married anyway, so the ring won't make that big of a difference.

April 2, 2011 at 11:03 am |
  40. Jennifer

Wedding rings, these days, are an indication that someone is married to ward off potential flirts, etc. This is the future King of England. People will know he is married.

Any married person could remove their wedding rings to deceive others about their marriage situation.

Wildly recognized public figures can stray when their marriage status is known (presidents for example).

Identifying _this_ man as married, married or no, will not dictate his behaviour or his fidelity.

Wearing a ring to indicate to one's self and partner that they are committed in love is a wonderful thing. A ring is a tangible symbol that reminds wedded folk that they are committed to each other. Some people don't need a ring to remember they are in a committed relationship.

Wedding rings are an ancient, cultural tradition, but are not required.

If he doesn't want to wear one for "us" it is disrespectful to insist he do so. He's indicated he won't wear one, so now the public and paparazzi cannot infer anything from the fact that it's not there.

April 2, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  41. kim

I've been happily married for almost 16 years now and my husband does not wear a ring. He is a plumber now but used to work in cable.
    People need to understand that if you do a job where there is the possibility of the ring taking your finger off because it could get caught on something, it may better not to wear one. My husband had a close call just after we were married. His ring got stuck on a small piece of cable when he was up a hydro pole. It almost removed his finger. I love my husband and prefer to keep all of him. Women need to get a hold of themselves and trust their men. A wedding band never stopped a cheater from cheating.

April 2, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  42. DixieMay

I see a wedding ring as a symbolic pledge that is for those not involved in the relationship. And that is un-necessary for my husband as he is fully committed to me! I am confident that he was, is and always will be faithful.

There are many reasons men and women can't or shouldn't wear jewelry. Allergies, injury potential and personal preference are a few.

April 2, 2011 at 11:46 am |
  43. Mare48

My Mom and Dad were marrried 52 years and my Dad only wore his wedding ring to Church on Sunday when he could make it. He was an airline mechanic and wearing it was dangerous because of his job and my Mom was cool with that.

My husband rarely wears his ring because when we were married 10 years ago, his ring finger was a size 12. Now his ring finger is a size 16 if his hands swell. No big deal for me either.

I love jewelry and wear mine everyday and take it off at night when I get home.

The Prince should have choice in the matter and besides, it is no one's business but William and Kate's!!!

April 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm |