Today on CNN Newsroom

June 19th, 2011

Author To Nation's Kids: "Go The F*** To Sleep"

Here's a perfect last-minute Father's Day gift idea, depending on your dad's tolerance for four-letter words. The mock children's book "Go The F- To Sleep" is for every parent who's ever dealt with the frustration of a kid who just won't go to bed. The book has only been out for a few days, and it's already a massive hit, skyrocketing to the top of The New York Times bestseller list, and even spawning an audio version read by noted f-word poet Samuel L. Jackson. Author Adam Mansbach explains to CNN's Don Lemon how the book came to be.

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Don Lemon
  1. Sprklerdude

Only in America...........the land of the free!

June 19, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  2. mia

what is the message of the book in fact?

June 20, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
  3. Jamie

I agree with Karen that the "go the F to sleep" book is offensive to me as a parent! I am a single mother of a 5 year old boy. It was not easy to put him to sleep and it still isn't but I would never use that language. I also dont think its funny to make fun of parenthood like the book does. I cherish my son so much and if he ever read that book he would feel very offended or unwanted. My 7 year old step-daughter would probably not talk to me for a while if she got her hands on the book as well. Children love the one on one time with their parents at bed time and they make excuses to stay up becuase they want to soak up as much time as possible with their parents before they fall asleep. The book get more and more vlugar as it goes on wich i believe is very distasteful and just a slimy way to make a profit. What is a parent really going to do with that book read it once and then let it collect dust? or worry about their child reading it and chuck it in the trash where it belongs.

June 29, 2011 at 9:54 am |
  4. Niki

I think the book is a hoot !! It's for adults who are tired and the kids won't settle down. Having 3 children who use everything in the world to keep getting up and not go to sleep .. I understand the level of frustration that this book portrays. It is an adult book .. not a kid book. And yes, I have thought(not said out loud) that language after kid number 3 is headed to the bathroom, kid number 1 has asked for a drink and kid number 2 is now asking to go to the bathroom because his drink of water half an hour ago has now filled his bladder. Would I say this to the kids .. NO. Am I thinking it .. YES. The book is a parody ... a joke for parents. Keep the book with all the rest of books that you wouldn't let the kids read like romance books and horror books. I know this is America where we can blast everything we don't like in a public forum. But please do not condemn the man for writing a JOKE. If you do not like it, please do not buy it.

July 4, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  5. Yuette Chrabasz

Merely a smiling visitor here to share the love (:, btw great design .

March 6, 2021 at 1:51 pm |
  6. Darren Velilla

Nice read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. And he just bought me lunch as I found it for him smile Thus let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! "There are places and moments in which one is so completely alone that one sees the world entire." by Jules Renard.

March 6, 2021 at 2:03 pm |