Today on CNN Newsroom

August 7th, 2011

Navy SEAL is Remembered

CNN's Don Lemon speaks with the grandmother of Aaron Carson Vaughn, one of 22 Navy SEALs killed Friday after a military helicopter crashed in Afghanistan. A total of 30 Americans lost their lives. The Taliban is claiming responsibility.

Filed under: Don Lemon
  1. Terry Mitchell

It is easy to second guess and arm chair coach situations in life, but you NEVER put all your eggs in one basket. My Grandfather taught me that important lesson of life, 50 years ago. Why were the cream of the crop speacial forces men all put in the same basket? God bless you gentlemen. We love you all!

August 7, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
  2. Joe

Let us Keep all of the Brave Warriors that gave their lives in mind. The Navy SEALS, Navy EOD Technicians, Air Force Combat Controllers, Dog Handler, and the Air crew all were the best of the best. May the Lord bless their families.

August 7, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  3. Jan Hagen

My son, WO1 Eric Funderburg, died in El Salvador in 1991. He was co-pilot on a helicopter that was, according to the locals, shot down by drug cartel related guerrilla. It has been 20 years and today's story of the SEALS who have lost their lives brings it back as if I am the mother receiving the news. For a mother, the wound never heals. It scabs over until some random word, picture, song, or any of a million reminders, rips it off. At first it happens hundreds of times a day. As time passes, the frequency decreases, but then the scab is thicker and even more painful. Today, twenty years later, it happened four times...........my heart bleeds for each mother, father, sister, brother, son or daughter, lover, fiancee or wife of each of the men who died in that helicopter. I know my son knew the danger and volunteered for the mission he died on, but I will grieve for him to the day I die. I still wake up each morning knowing he is not in my world anymore and I struggle to put one foot in front of the other even though, to those around me, I appear to "be over it"..........

August 7, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
  4. Bill from Newark, Delaware

My heart pines for these soldiers and thier families. The only thing that bothers me is that we make it national news when 30 are killed at one time, but if a soldier who is killed in a single isolated incident, he doesnt even get a mention. When the 13 soldiers were killed at Fort Hood, we lowered the flag to half mast. But 3 soldiers died in Afghanistan the week before and nobody, except thier families, even batted an eye. I think the flag should be lowered and remain that way until 30 days after the last combat death. Every soldier, whether a Navy Seal or a infantry rifleman, derserves an equal amount of respect.

August 8, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  5. Dusty Putorium

My heart goes out to all of these families and hope they know how many of us cry with them today? So terrible these wonderful men and women who go out daily in that no mans land to fight for the rest of us back here? Do we honestly realize what they are doing for all of us ? Now we have a Congress that is on vacation and should be back in Washington to do their job they have not finished? Do they honestly care for what our military is doing for them, I truly doubt this? God Bless all who lost their lives and their families many prayers with you today and always.

August 8, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  6. Lilarose1941

I am sorry for these guys. BUT, if they want to live their childhood dreams of being SEALS or going to dangerous places (which they sign up for), they shouldn't have kids until they get the military and war and being with their buddies (in lieu of families) out of their systems.

August 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  7. karen

I believe there are 8 Afghani bodies from that Chinook. Guess they don't matter i.e. no names. It is very sad. What were we doing in El Salvador in 1991? Toppling another country's government? During Viet Nam, we were in Cambodia, Laos, Thailand.........and people there are still suffering from our napalm and "bombies" . Our cluster bombs are still killing and maiming over there. Well at least the military and industrial complex make money.......supposedly half of the personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan are contractors.

August 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  8. karen

none of this would have happened if we had gone after Bin Laden the way we got him; very secretly, kind of like the Israeli's do it; and, how the British keep things very quiet.

August 9, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  9. Eileen Curras

It is always sad to lost a love one.

August 10, 2011 at 10:32 am |
  10. Ellsworth Daku

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

January 28, 2021 at 10:02 pm |
  11. Chrissy Kish

Dead composed subject material , regards for selective information .

March 4, 2021 at 10:23 am |
  12. Juliana Igwe

Thanks for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I am very glad to see such great info being shared freely out there.

March 6, 2021 at 1:44 pm |
  13. Austin Ekstein

I simply could not leave your site before suggesting that I actually loved the usual information an individual supply to your guests? Is gonna be again continuously in order to check up on new posts.

March 6, 2021 at 1:52 pm |
  14. Joaquin Brague

Good ¡V I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs as well as related info ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, web site theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Nice task..

March 6, 2021 at 2:20 pm |
  15. Annalee Mazurek

I cling on to listening to the news lecture about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the top site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i get some?

March 7, 2021 at 1:37 pm |
  16. icycoupons

What's up, this weekend is nice in support of me, as this moment i am
    reading this wonderful informative article here at my house.

March 31, 2021 at 8:19 am |
  17. oginject

Very energetic blog, I liked that bit. Will there be a part 2?

April 2, 2021 at 4:06 am |
  18. q9win

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.
    Thanks for excellent information I was looking
    for this info for my mission.

April 9, 2021 at 12:07 am |
  19. Monet Eakes

I like the valuable information you provide to your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again right here regularly. I'm moderately certain I’ll be told a lot of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

April 15, 2021 at 10:53 am |