Today on CNN Newsroom

August 27th, 2011

Hurricane Irene – helpful links

Our team at CNN.com has fantastic, broad coverage of Hurricane Irene this morning and throughout the weekend. Be sure to follow the tracker, live blog, and state-by-state breakdown.
If you're in Irene's path, do everything it takes to be safe and prepared. If you're in a position to safely share your videos, photos, and stories, join the open story from our iReport team.
As I'm reporting today, if you or your loved ones are in Irene's path, your first instinct might be to call each other. Authorities are encouraging you not to. Instead, try social media or texting. You don't want to clog the phone lines - leave those open for people who need to make emergency calls.
The Red Cross website Safe and Well can help. You can post your whereabouts, or search to see if someone you love has posted.
Which websites are helping you? Post in the comments section, or join me at Facebook and Twitter. I'll share some of your most helpful links on the air.
Be safe and well.
JL

Filed under: CNN Newsroom • Josh Levs
  1. Nina Chiaramonte

More Aggressive Approach dealing with Hurricanes

when as the questions of a weather man do Hurricanes weaken when they hit land he said yes, do they weaken when they reach cool water he said yes, why do we take such a passive approach to Hurricanes?There is a women who keeps flying her plane right into the Hurricane.(for info) instead of just info, treat Hurricanes the why we do our fires, fly into them and bombard them with sand/earth/dirt/drench them with ice cold water.Where are our scientist????

August 27, 2011 at 8:01 am |
  2. Janet in Illinois

Please let me know something about Delaware, I have my grandchildren, daughter, and son-in-law there. my son-in-law came there for his job and the whole family went since children were out for the summer and I am worried about them. Should they evacuate? You's are not telling about the states in between Carolina's and New York, think about the other states, families, and those who are praying for them, PLEASE!!! I as well as everyone this way are very worried about them please send me some info asap, would maybe ease my mind, we are so worried about them. Prayers go out! Thank you , Janet PS a very worried and c oncerned Mother and family

August 27, 2011 at 10:06 am |
  3. bob smith

ive been watching your reports, on Irene, why are they starting in NC. and then skip to dc and new york , like VA isn't even there , i was in the military in Hampton and know its only a few ft above sea level why do you skip over Hampton , Newport news

August 27, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
  4. James T.

Governor Christie isn't telling the truth with bringing Atlantic City and shore residents to Trenton's Arena. I am a resident of Trenton NJ and the Sun Arena isn't allowing anyone else in. Trenton doesn't have a set plan for its residents, if the worst does happen. Our shelter was the Sun arena. Trenton or New Jersey also doesn't have anything in place for its residents at home who are disabled and or on a ventilator, if the power goes out. We were told in case of a power outage the fire department or the city will provide emergency generators to ventilator dependent residents. We also had to fill out paperwork to make the city and emergency personnel aware of my son's medical condition for situations like this. Now that we are facing hurricane Irene, we have been told by Trenton police to take our son to the Sun Arena who isn't letting anymore people in. NOW WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO..... PLEASE HELP EXPOSE THIS SITUATION....

August 27, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  5. heather,elliott

i,hope.eveyone.is.safe,during,hurricanemirene,,and,this,will,be,over,soon,my.prayers,are,with,you,all

August 27, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  6. Margie

I would like to know why everyone is talking about New York New Jersey and are saying nothing about Delaware. It will reach us first and nothing is being said.

August 27, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
  7. Lisa Wolf

I've been watching CNN off and on all day/night – did you forget about southern NJ and Philadelphia? All the reports focus on upcoming activity in NY and current activity at hurricane eye location. Advance warning would be helpful.
    Thank you.

August 27, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  8. John Focht

In New York, another risk to the windows could be gravel from some of the roofs. If the NYC building code still permits this old roofing technology (or buildings were grandfathered), the high winds can lift the gravel and turn it into miniature missiles. (The gravel only has to chip or scratch the glass, it doesn't have to completely break it in order to lose a glass panel. Pressure will do the rest.) This happened in Houston during Hurricane Alicia (I think) and caused a huge mess downtown, particularly around the Tenneco Building. It can cause a huge mess at ground level, and a real hazard for pedestrians and vehicles alike. NYPD needs to be very careful!

August 27, 2011 at 9:59 pm |
  9. Jacqueline McIver

Why havent you mentioned anything about the potential damage to New Hampshire on your coverage?

I have relatives there and am very interested in their welfare.....

thanks

August 27, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
  10. Scott Jackson

If power outages are occurring thoughout the east, does this mean that local authorities and power companies are ignoring the recommendation of the US-Canada Power Outage Task Force to have backup generators at all nodes ot the poewr grid follwoing the 2003 blackoiut?

August 28, 2011 at 3:01 am |
  11. Michele Jones

Suggestion for Irene Reporters

Have a yard stick to show depth of street flooding, wind monitors, etc

August 28, 2011 at 9:41 am |
  12. Mr. Fiore

Hi Mrs. Baldwin , just wanted to let you know on the extent of Irene's reach . In Montreal, Canada wind speed 45km/h gusts up to 100 km/h wiyh heavy rain .

P.S. Keep up the great work enjoy your show !

August 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  13. Stuart

What about hte impact on Canada...that northern part of the map, how is it impacting Canadians in the path as it continues to travel...

August 28, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  14. Max

40 mph sustained winds 20 miles East of Bangor Maine in Clifton. Power outages for 3 hours aruond Bangor.

August 28, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  15. Greg

A little bit ago there was a conversation on CNN with a woman trapped in Prattsville, NY. I was grateful to hear the reality of the situation our nation is still facing. However, I thought the questions went on for more information than the person could handle and know. As a pastor I hope you would talk with Dr. Phil or other resources to help you pose questions so that you reach your point, but do not continue to traumatize them...

The person and all with her were safe and traumatized. Should not information been given to her that what she was facing was being faced by many, and that she needed to hang in there as nature ran its course? As you loop many events, I believe looping information about surviving the trauma would be important as well so people can find the strength to hang in there and move on. Also, knowing what they are going through emotionally may help them as well.

Though you are not a social services agency, your work with FEMA and State Gov'ts shows you can help greatly. I'd like to encourage you to continue to use your gift and get the emotional well being of people in perspective for them...

Thanks for listening!
    Greg

August 29, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  16. REG

It seems CNN as well as the other major news companies are not reporting on the devastation in NE. Vermont is a disaster zone and only a few reports are made. How about the stranded people. My brother had to use an ATV and travel miles over a mountain to get out. Both his daughters and families are stranded. This is all in Pittsfield and Stockbridge. No doubt there are many othere such stories. Sure seems more important to me than reporting on the subway up and running in NYC.

August 31, 2011 at 6:02 am |
  17. Johnnie Rekus

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I've really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

January 28, 2021 at 10:02 pm |
  18. Proxies Seller

Just a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw outstanding design and style.

February 16, 2021 at 10:37 am |
  19. Willis Blandino

Very interesting details you have mentioned , appreciate it for posting . "Nothing ever goes away." by Barry Commoner.

March 4, 2021 at 9:51 am |