Today on CNN Newsroom

December 22nd, 2011

Players Sue NFL Over Injuries

Brooke Baldwin talks to former NFL player Coy Wire about a controversial suit involving four other former players. The suit claims that the National Football League, as well as the teams and coaches, did little to educate players on the extensive damage that the game can cause. Players allege that they were told to get back into games after they had suffered concusive injuries. Coy tells Brooke that there is a culture of  He-manism in the NFL where players can be chastised for not returning to the action after "getting their bell rung".

Post by:
Filed under: Anchors • Brooke Baldwin
  1. chicagok

The players are correct. The NFL should be shutdown. It is more dangerous than mercury from coal plants and more dangerous than VIOXX. It is clearly worst than texting and driving. Why is Congress allowing an activity that clearly CLEARLY is KNOWN to shorten lifespan? And no kid should ever play football. Football is much more life threatening than those old baby cribs and crib bumpers. Who lying to the public and letting football continue? Maybe the players should sue the news media for covering up the truth. They could get millions out of each every newspaper and outlet in the US!

December 23, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  2. TW Armstrong

So, professional football players didn't know that they might get hurt by playing a game that is founded on pure physical contact all the while being payed millions to do so? Whaa, whaa, quit being a p**sy and cash your check and go see a doctor

December 24, 2011 at 8:58 am |
  3. Jordan

Again, where is the accountability. I'm trying to understand, I put something over my head to protect it while I run around bashing it against other people and it's the NFL's fault. WOW

December 24, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  4. Amelia Salehabadi

I am a sport law professor and sport attorney in Canada and in my view, with the new medical studies, the face of contact sports Will change. Football as weel as Hockey. It is a simple question of liability and insurance. It looks very much like what hit the tabacco industry years ago. New rules of communicating the security-damages issues will have to be put into place. The legal question is not a question of violence in sport but a question of communicating the real dangers-risks to players and thus the question of their legal capacity in accepting them (ie minor players).
    By the way, who is the attorney representing these 4 ex-players?

December 26, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  5. Randye Ringler

Guess they should have all read Rob Huizenga's book " You're OK It's Just a Bruise" written by the former Internist for the Raiders (and Biggest Loser Doctor) and ex-President of the NFL Physician's Council. Great read btw.

January 2, 2012 at 3:48 am |
  6. CNNuthin

Here is a scenario: I get drunk at a party and the homeowners told me to go home. I said I was too drunk and they said, do it or we will never invite you back. I leave and crash the car into a store front. Get sued by the store. I tell them, not my fault. The booze made me poor at driving, the car could not handle my steering, those guys at the house kicked me out. Would that hold up in court? No. Can I sue those guys, Toyota or Bacardi? No? Why? Because I would have been the one who made the choice. I did something destructive to myself. Then I put myself in a situation that could potentially cause harm to myself and others. And I had other options I did not explore enough (taxis are expensive after all). This player went into a career of bashing into people. Why did he think they all wore helmets and pads? If you coach tells you to go in after an injury, throw up or collapse in front of him. Get a medical second opinion. My boss tells me to do something that I find physically or morally wrong, I tell him. If he threatens me, well there is always someone above him if needed. Logic and self need to be won out over obedience.

May 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm |