Today on CNN Newsroom

January 12th, 2012

Graphic Video appears to show desecration of Taliban Corpses

Officials in the United States and Afghanistan expressed shock and outrage Thursday regarding a video purporting to show a U.S. Marine sniper team urinating on dead bodies, possibly in Afghanistan.   Watch Brooke's Interview with Captain Timothy Kudo from the U.S. Marine Corps.

Filed under: Brooke Baldwin
  1. Barbara

This is such a disgustingly sad report. Does anyone remember the term: "The Ugly American"...It seems that those who choose to do these things certainly fit that description. How dare they behave in this way...How dare the authorities allow them to be retained in the armed services of the United States. I hope justice moves swiftly and they are punished for their unconscionable behavior with appropriate punishment for this crime.

January 12, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
  2. Barbara

Well...If I am a member of the people of the world...I certainly am. To have this hate in your heart...you are as guilty as those who did this. Americans are not barbarians (for the most part)...Our people are /used to be...thought of as civilized. At the age of 76...I don't recall that the act of urinating on someone I just killed...would be a way to bring peace to the people of the world. It is unconcionable...PARTICULARLY for the United States Marines to be involved in this.
    I am wholly outraged!

January 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  3. Joe P. Watters, USN Retired

I guess people sitting in the comfort of their plush offices in Washington, DC and all the arm chair generals have forgotten we are at war with the Taliban! Urinating on a corpse was unnecessary but it is a far cry from cutting off the heads of live Americans on Television! Where was the outrage?? How about mutilating the bodies of our American servicemen captured by the Taliban? Where was the outrage?? Does anyone remember bodies being hanged from bridges and burned by the Taliban? Where was the outrage??? The woman politician, lawyer, or whatever she was wanted the Marines prosecuted to the full extent of the law!! HOCKEY PUCK!!!! How much time has she ever spent in combat? Probably the closest she lhas ever came to combat was "fighting her way through the crowd to get another drink at an upscale restaurant". IT'S TIME TO REMEMBER THESE MEN AND WOMEN ARE IN A COMBAT ZONE – NOT A WASHINGTON OFFICE OR A PLUSH HOME MADE POSSIBLE BY THESE VERY PEOPLE SHE WANTS TO PROSECUTE TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE LAW!!! Things happen in the heat of battle that she could not even began to understand. Did they torture anyone, rape anyone, kill innocent civilians, – or did they kill an enemy combatant – WHO WAS TRYING TO KILL THEM??? I doubt this will ever make the news room as it is more "politically correct" to go after our own military than critize Pakisstan who is "outraged" but helped hide out Bin Laden who was a mass murder!!! Get a life Washington! Should it have happened – No – but is it a terrible crime which deserves prosecution – No. Go find another cause to champion and LEAVE OUR MILITARY ALONE! Be thankful they are there protecting your deranged "lower anatomy" because it could well be the Taliban "cutting off your head" instead without the military keeping you safe and warm in Washington!!

January 12, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  4. Joe P. Watters, USN Retired

Barbara – I appreciate you being a "member of the people of the " world but as sensiltive as you are to the Marines actions, if in fact that's what heppened, then I suggest you review history and what happens to the "sheep" of the world. Thank God for U.S. Marines, Army, Navy, Airforce and Coast Guard. Without them, our (and your) world would cease to be. I certainly feel our military exhibits an outstanding example for all other countries militaries to emulate but sometimes in battle, things happen. Urinating on a dead body is certainly NOT A HANGING OFFENSE as you would like to see. Want to go after real criminals – try the current administration and President.

January 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  5. Barbara

Joe...I'm not a bleeding heart liberal...I am a civilized human being. I am extremely tired of hearing about the military misfits who do these things and then someone like you comes along to hold their hands. How about Abu Garib...have you forgotten who was involved in that? But of course, you think it's okay to act like a barbarian...in the name of 'protecting' women of the U.S...and their families...That is also Hockey Puck...There are/have been/and always will be disgusting behavior exhibited by some of the military because they are not always governed by those who are decent themselves. There is a double standard...which makes it 'ok'...to behave like this...in retribution. Well, it isn't ok. It's disgusting. I will go to MY grave (in the future) knowing that I have respect for all human beings... I don't pretend to be 'holier than thou' and then behave like a little child whose family hasn't taught him right from wrong. THAT is what this is about...It is unacceptable behavior for the members of the military of the United States...no matter how you think you would like to spin it. Grow up and quit wallowing in your choice of a career. My, oh my...do I have a life...A fantastic one...and it has nothing to do with appeasing immature young people...whatever they do.

January 12, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  6. James

Joe, I respect the US Miltary too, but this wasn't "in the heat of battle" as you say. Clearly the Taliban is a horrible group of thugs and there is absolutely no justification for their execution of prisoners and civilians. But to desecrate the corpse of your enemy is below the standards of the armed forces of the United States. It doesn't matter who the President is or what party you support—you have to know that it is wrong to do this.

It is possible for decapitations and urinating on the dead to both be wrong, not on the same level but still both wrong. The soliders involved have brought shame to the proud traditions that you once served and behaved in a manner that is unbecoming of a representative of our armed forces. This is a black eye on the reputation of the professionalism and honor of our soliders and those who would risk that reputation should be appropriately punished.

January 12, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
  7. Valeria T

Why all the "outrage" over this?? The dead were TALIBAN according to the reports. Does anyone really
    think TALIBAN fighters would be all Geneva-Convention-respectful etc etc over AMERICAN dead? Not
    hardly. It's no more than they would do to our fighters were the circumstances reversed, after all. We
    should not be upset over this, any more than we should have been over the Abu Ghraib (sp?) incidents.
    There, too, it's only doing to them what they would do to us. We should be applauding the Marines (if
    that's who they were) shown in this video, not condemming them.

January 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
  8. Barbara

What does being shot at have to do with desecrating a dead body? I guess we have three of the 'misfits', I was talking about...expressing themselves vividly here. The positive effect of CNN's coverage, is that it brings you little boys out of the woodwork..:) Sandbox next?

January 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
  9. Zack

People been fighting wars for centuries and and comments on this act is the true reflection of our today's modern society

January 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
  10. Mady

This morning we were discussing the video of American soldiers urinating on a dead body of the enemy…and the fact that so many find it okay is disturbing. There has been a long tradition in warfare of honoring the dead of your enemy. This is a senseless act and the fact that our soldiers took a video makes it even more moronic!!!! There is a line of respect in war. Please do not mistake my disgust with their bad decision as a lack of support for our U.S. military–I support them fully. I cannot imagine the atrocities witnessed and the horrible after effects of war. …but this in no way gives anyone the right to desecrate a dead body simply because one thinks it funny or because the enemy has harmed us. I got into this discussion at my office and one of the comments back to me was “Oh but you think it is okay to kill the enemy, just not piss on them!”…That is not my point at all. War is horrible, but sometimes necessary and unfortunately lives are lost. But there are rules and lines of respect in war. Yes the Taliban has committed heinous acts...we are better than that. And urinating on a dead body and taking a video for the sake of sick humor is morally wrong...no matter how you try to excuse the behavior. Unfortunately as history has dictated, there are wars and will be wars in the future…and unfortunate loss of lives …but there does not have to be a loss of morality.Bottom line, at the risk of being cliche, 'two wrongs still don't make a right' and only morons and those with a low moral compass believe that they do. It is absolutely shameful and doesn't reflect decent human codes of behavior during peace or war time and I do not believe it reflects how most soldiers would conduct themselves. All of us are capable of many things...including heinous acts...but most of us are guided by moral compasses...As Fyodor Dostoevsky wrote..."Without God all things are permitted." Just my two cents.

January 13, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
  11. j mccarty

i agree with us army vet terrists do all kinds of things to our military persons i wish i coulda been there with them

January 13, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  12. Jerry

Can CNN please stop showing th video of the marines urinating on the dead Taliban soldiers!!! The world knows it happened! Must you keep inflaming the anti-American sentiments that already exists in that part of the world and everywhere else! Enough already!! Report on the story, yes! But every time the video appears more of our soldiers are put at risk!!!

January 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
  13. David

I resent the fact that CNN is showing the "Al Qaida recruitment video" otherwise known as the video of the marines urinating on corpses. The act was disgusting and those involved should be dishonorably discharged, but the producers of CNN and the other news networks that consistently air this recruitment video should understand that the next American muslim who plots to blow up innocent American citizens in retaliation are directly responsible for it. Stop showing the video, and get over it. Let the military drum these soldiers out and put the incident behind us.

And while you're at it, why the hell did you give so much time to the traitor who got General McChrystal fired? The guy is invited to go along with the group of military leaders who were trying to develop strategy and he turns around and publicly humiliates both the General and the President. He is not intelligent enough to understand that he is undermining America when he undermines the head General and the President himself. Hopefully, this moron will never be allowed anywhere near an active military establishment again.

January 13, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
  14. Josh Campbell

These are men and women who are under constant threat 24hrs a day 7 days a week. Obviously we would like to think that we are above and better than this behaviour, however we all know that the Taliban and thier allies do a hell of a lot worse to our men and woman. I don't remember any of the Taliban being beheaded by our service members. No one who has not been in thier boots has the right to judge these brave people.

January 15, 2012 at 8:07 am |
  15. Anchorite

This is disgusting. First of all, snipers are cowards who kill people outside of combat. It is just pure murder. And second, desecrating their corpses shows the utmost disrespect for one's enemy. An enemy, I might remind you, who is defending their own country, and who shows our war dead and P.O.W.'s respect in return.

January 19, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  16. dotcom00

It was not something to write home about but then I haven't walked in their shoes so i don't feel qualified to judge. How about the rest of you?

January 29, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  17. Jeanmarie Mulaney

Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more clear from this post. I am very glad to see such great info being shared freely out there.

March 6, 2021 at 2:22 pm |