Today on CNN Newsroom

March 27th, 2012

Small business owner: I don't want health insurance

Brooke speaks with David Klemencic, a small business owner and one of the plaintiffs in the ongoing Supreme Court case against the enaction of the Affordable Care Act.  Klemencic explains that buying health insurance is too expensive and not something that fits his needs.  He claims that being forced to purchase such insurance by the government would cause harm to him and his business.

Post by:
Filed under: Brooke Baldwin
  1. Mark Carr

Brooke – you do realize that health care costs and insurance premiums are rising under Obamacare? As a journalist, i assume you have also read that the CBO has determined that these costs will rise at a rate at least as high as BEFORE the law. So when you attempted to tell David that the law would lower the costs, you were either ignorant of this or simply didn't want to point out that he was right and the law will not help him.

Pelosi said on multiple occasions that we would have to pass the law to know what was in it...with Grab Bag legislation like that, I am very glad she is no longer Speaker.

March 28, 2012 at 10:08 am |
  2. tsi0000

Way to go Brooke! I loved it when Congresswoman Brown brought up the murder of a white female in her district and could not provide the name of the individual. Great Work! I loved watching her freeze up and go off on different tangents.

March 28, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  3. Joyce Campbell

Can anyone explain the difference between the legality of requiring citizens to have automobile insurance under penalty of fines and imprisonment as opposed to requiring them to have health insurance?
    Thank you.

March 28, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  4. Mark carr

Joyce-

It's simple.

1) You don't have to drive. If you do decide to drive, you must comply with indemnification of other drivers. You HAVE to live and under this law, by living, you are required to buy something. Unless the Obama WH gives you a waiver, which has happened to 1700 or so of their donors.

Now, under this law, you will go to jail if you don't buy insurance. The FDA has already started approving drugs based on costs, and has already started making recommendations on rationing care. These are all things that folks that read the bill raised flags on and the media as well as many of the democratic legislatures said weren't there.

March 28, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
  5. Mark carr

So do we have to buy cell phones to be prepared for emergencies? Must we buy broccoli to be healthy? These are questions that maybe Brooke can answer. Doesn't buying more Broccoli bring down it's cost?

March 28, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  6. clemen

The reason why health insurance is so expensive is because the hospitals overcharge for their services. Don't blame it on Obama. You go to the hospital, and have to wait for 4 hours to see the Dr. . Then you see the Dr. for 5 minutes he charges you $500.00 just for talking to him. They charge you $200.00 just for sitting on the bed while seeing the Dr.. They charge you $100.00 for each small instrument you use. If you happen to have to stay in the hospital even for one day they can charge you up to $15,000. The nurses that assist you are usually very rude, and your family member should stay with you at the hospital for safety reasons. Lets not even talk about the over charge price for medicine. Stop blaming everything on Obama. Its those greedy republicans.

March 30, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
  7. mark carr

Clemen –

Fine, I'll blame Michelle Obama. As a hospital administrator, obviously HER hospital was cost effective..oh no wait...it wasn't. Read the CBO reports and you will see that you are incorrect.

If you want to defend a lost cause that need to die, I hear the Confederacy is still looking for champs. They are about as Freedom loving as Mr. O and had a much better grasp of modern economics.

March 31, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
  8. Armand

500 000 bankrupt people a year due to insurance related bills. The system is for sure a failure

April 5, 2012 at 9:51 am |
  9. LauriM

"2) If you don't have health insurance, you aren't putting others at financial risk."

Until you INEVITABLY need to be treated for something and then the responsible people who paid into health care have to carry your expenses.

And if you choose on your child's behalf that they don't need insurance I think you are guilty of abuse (unless I suppose you are in the 1% of people who can pay everything out of pocket when your kid breaks an arm or gets leukemia)

We need to be required to have health insurance because we will ALL need to use it. Because you live and want to continue to live, you ARE already in the health care commerce arena.To think you are invincible is its own evidence you need mental health care.

April 5, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
  10. LauriM

My bet is, this guy hasn't a clue what being sick costs. Someday he may have a rude awakening as he goes bankrupt and on welfare. And his healthcare costs get passed to the rest of us who paid in. THANKS!

April 5, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
  11. daftpublic

Although, I'm from a country that provides its citizens with "FREE" healthcare, I have to laugh because people think its free its not free its extremely expensive!!! Most government programs are mismanaged and seem to conveniently over pay a select number of companies, or special interests. When I hear government run program I see hard earned tax payers dollars put into overly wealthy peoples pockets. Please don't misunderstand me thats not just the U.S. thats any government!!! After years of working here legally, I married an American and now I have a daughter thats American. Therefore I love this country for a number of reasons, the obvious one my family, another is the fact that the harder I work the more I'm rewarded. In other countries it seemed the harder I worked the more deadbeats I supported. That being said I was happy to Pay 500.00 a month for my family's health insurance. I believe this healthcare reform is needed, however the current version could use adjustments. I've done research and I've asked a few doctors all of which agree something needs to be done!!! I think everyone should have to carry insurance, for the simple fact that I don't think its fair the responsible people should have to pay for the irresponsible. Pre-existing conditions should be eliminated, I think its unfair that someone can lead a perfect life as an American and lose everything because an insurance company refuses to honor their agreement. Making everyone pay, will lower costs, eliminating state borders and opening every state up to competing health providers will lower costs the competition. This is a free market right??? I think it should stay privatized, but heavily regulated by the government. Why regulated? Because any public necessity should be regulated in the publics best interest!!! (Needs Versus Wants) furthermore, we shouldn't have to pay premiums on drugs for research and development when thats already been absorbed by another country.

April 8, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
  12. Francia

You may deduct qiluifaed medical expenses you pay for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents, including a person you claim as a dependent under a Multiple Support Agreement. You can also deduct medical expenses you paid for someone who would have qiluifaed as your dependent for the purpose of taking personal exemptions except that the person did not meet the gross income or joint return test. You deduct medical expenses on Form 1040, Schedule A (PDF), Itemized Deductions. The total of all allowable medical expenses must be reduced by 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income. For more information, refer to Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses.

May 10, 2012 at 1:40 am |