Today on CNN Newsroom

June 15th, 2012

Lawmaker silenced after 'vagina' comments

Brooke talks with lawmaker Lisa Brown, who was barred from speaking on the floor of the Michigan state legislature for saying "vagina" during a debate. Brown says has been "baffled" by the reaction to the word.

Post by:
Filed under: Anchors • Brooke Baldwin
  1. timestopper73

I guess the old guys couldn't handle it.

June 15, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
  2. Tiffany

"Vagina" is the medically appropriate term for the external reproductive system. Lisa Brown should not have been banned from speaking on the floor. Keep religion out of politics. Keep your unconstitutional laws out of my body.

June 16, 2012 at 9:01 am |
  3. rachelle

biology class must have really blown these small minded brains into total shock!

June 17, 2012 at 6:48 am |
  4. Eric

Vagina? Not long ago it was considered bad manners to say the word "pregnant" in mixed company. My wifes mother wouldn't allow them to say "Kotex" they had to have a code name for it, "Kodak". Isn't it all so rediculous?

June 17, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  5. BD

And yet another big step backwards......

June 18, 2012 at 9:09 am |
  6. Krh

One step backwards for america, one giant leap backwards for all of mankind. Seriously can we send these guys to anatomy class. P.s not saying vagina doesn't make it not exist.

Are we seriously going to resign ourselves to use code words like who ha, hotpocket, va J J. oh my gosh. I thought we were pass this. Come on guys lets discuss our naughty parts with proper terminology lol, lets just say vagina.

June 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
  7. bogartz

This is the kind of ignorance that the national war against public education is designed to proliferate. The owners of the country want a dumbed down populace that will believe anything and be qualified to work at nothing.

June 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  8. drinky

In Michigan it's referred to as a lawless crotch circus...so get it right lady!

June 18, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
  9. iicannedassii

Free Speech at it's Finest.

June 18, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
  10. ah, I'd like to recant that

Duh, people. It's not the word, it's the context it's used in. That means the other words in the sentences around the word. It's the expression in her voice. It's the volume of her voice and the intonation. Did her rant go on after the gavel had dropped ? When I used the word DUH, didn't you get the feeling I was making fun of you? But I have to admit, much worse has been used. Here in Illinois, one of our legislators threw up a stack of papers during his rant, and swung at them on their way down. No, sillies, he didn't regurgitate them. Doesn't the use of the word sillies insult you in that last sentence? National media made this legislator out to be a fool, but the rest of us Illinoisans were cheering him on because we agreed with his sentiments !

June 19, 2012 at 11:35 am |
  11. Prescott2012

Really, they are being constitutional. She has the freedom of speech. Whats next, they get to decide who can say what and where they can say. I'm from Michigan and I think our govner should back her up.

June 19, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  12. Context means Everything

As a previous comment implies, context means everything. "... and finially Mr. Speaker, I'm flattered you're all so interested in my vagina, but no means no." What was in the rest of that debate? The tone it was said in was VERY defensive and doesn't make it seem like it was just a legislative reference, but more like a response to a personal insult. Saying the Speaker of the House is interested in "MY" vagina is a very problematic comment to make. This has more to do with the tone and usage than the word itself. I'm pretty sure she would have been silenced if she had replaced "vagina" with "body" or "mid-section" or anything else. The fact that our lawmakers don't know how to have intelligent debate without making claims like that (or at least CNN showing why it was done) is sad. The fact that only one of the previous 11 commenters even noticed this is much sadder showing people no longer understand how a debate is supposed to function getting too wrapped up in thinking about word usage.

TL;DR: It's not word usage, it's how it's used.

June 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  13. Melissa

Well, I'm from Illinois and I have to back her use of the word. I wish lawmakers would get out of my vagina and let me make choices for my own body.

June 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  14. scott

Oh...I didnt realize she said 'MY'...that changes everything!!!!!!! How dare she!!!!!

Google the lady who was set to testify in front of congress and had a picture of a 5 year old boy taking a bath in rust red water from a strip mine. They accused her of peddling child prostitution..had the capital police question her for almost an hour. The childs parents had sent the picture to the activist to be used. You wonder where the "boss hog" reputation of our politicians comes from, and then you hear about crap like this.

June 21, 2012 at 2:44 am |
  15. mark

Can I just say that everybody involved with this, including the press, Mrs. Brown, and her counterparts are showing a serious lack of knowledge here. Last time I took high school biology folks the fetus develops in the uterus, she shouldn't have been allowed to speak after showing such stupidity, not for saying vagina.

June 21, 2012 at 8:15 am |
  16. jd

again, liberals and feminazis spouting off without the facts. It was not the words but the tone and attitude that got Ms. Brown in trouble. She KNOWINGLY crossed the line and thenfeigns shock when she is called on her poor behavior.

She is a poser. Female legislators who are in the trenches fighting for the rights that women deserve are being done a disservice by this woman.

June 21, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  17. Sherri

Isn't it funny that these men can't stand the sound of the word that describes a body part? How moronic? It is not a swear word. It is a word describing a body part. Like: arm, leg, foot, head, ear, vagina, finger, toe, penis. What's the big deal? If they can't stand the sound of it, they sure as heck should not be making laws about it. (especially if they don't HAVE one)

July 5, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
  18. xfiler93

liberals and vagina...keeping it classy liberals...keeping it classy.

July 8, 2012 at 2:21 pm |