Today on CNN Newsroom

The latest news and information from around the world. Also connect with CNN through social media. We want to hear from you.
July 20th, 2012
06:36 PM ET

Philadelphia Mayor: gun control "is about reasonable regulations to protect people."

Philadelphia's Mayor Michael Nutter talks with Brooke Baldwin about the Aurora movie theater shooting; feels elected officials need to be more serious about gun control.


Filed under: Brooke Baldwin
soundoff (4 Responses)
  1. Craig Johnson

    My thoughts, tears and prayers go out to the families and friends who have been touched by this senseless tragedy. Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, I hope looking back in memory may help comfort you tomorrow. God Bless each one of you.

    Craig Johnson Oshkosh, Wisconsin

    July 21, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  2. June Clendening

    I can only imagine the pain and sorrow in the city of this latest tragedy. I hope and pray that theselatest human killings will finally make gun control laws succeed in this nation. My daughter lived in England for two years and she said there was never a person killed by guns.

    July 21, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
  3. Bonnie

    Online sellers should have to report unusual amounts of ammo sold to an individual. Such large amounts, enough to kill thousands, should be reported to some agency. Why is it legal to purchase in a short amount of time such amounts. UPS and Fed-Ex should also, either by x-ray, or scanning, have to report also when a certain item(s) are all going to an individual who is not a legal business. It should be answered why one person would need so many deliveries of the same substance, to the same address(s) in such a short period of time. If we can scan for anthrax, why not bullets, gunpowder, chemicals that KILL?

    July 23, 2012 at 9:51 am |
  4. Johnie Williams

    “STOP THE PRESS”

    I think Jeffery Holmes is a perfect opportunity to speak well on behalf of ex-offenders and stop bullying ex-offenders into the bad guy corner. Today on CNN the topic was about gun control. “Should we have a political conversation about guns?” Not only should we have a political conversation about guns but we should have every conversation about guns. NRA says “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” and this is true. Therefore the conversation is often geared towards a heighten security measure, background checks (NICS), etc. The fact of the matter is Jeffery Holmes (2012), Seung-Hui Cho(2007), Jared Lougher (2011) Ted Khazensky (1978-95), Timothy McVeigh (1995) Ted Bundy (1974-78) and Andrew Kehoe (1927) all would have passed security checks. However, if a Black man or Arabic man walked into a gun store and bought a high power rifle with 100 round magazine, hand guns, and 6000 rounds of ammunition, all kind of red flags would been raised. Even if the ammunition was ordered on-line, when a Black man opens the door to take delivery the FBI would have been right there wanting to know what he needs with 6000 rounds of ammunition.
    I think what we need to take from this, and let me be the first to say it, is “there is a new kind of criminal emerging”. They are smart, college educated kids who’ve been pushed in society’s dark corner. These individuals have these inner thoughts of making themselves a martyr or legend upon this world. He is doing this for his audience: the others who are still sitting in society’s dark corner of the earth anticipating their time. Psychologists need to put together a “profile” so that we can get to these people ahead of time and stop them in their tracks.
    By society’s nature we are so quick to judge someone off their criminal history and often times that does help, but it is an error to make people believe that criminals will always commit crimes. If psychologists were to perform these profile studies they would see shocking results.
    At the end of the day you guessed it, it fits the profile of 98% of white males in college, but there is still the other 2% and that’s the part we want to key in on.
    Author:
    Johnie Williams 7/24/2012

    July 24, 2012 at 4:52 pm |

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.