Today on CNN Newsroom

August 9th, 2012

Child dies as NBA star travels to meet him

Roy Hibbert of the Indiana Pacers was on his way to meet a dying twelve-year-old boy and grant his final wish but did not make it in time. Lee Eddins wanted to meet his NBA hero but passed away an hour before Hibbert's arrival.

Post by:
Filed under: Brooke Baldwin
  1. *Pastor Dennis A Coppock

Roy thanks for your heart and goodness. Our prayers are with you and the family.

August 9, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
  2. Kathy Van Meter

As the mom of 6 boys and a leukemia patient myself, my heart goes out to the family and to Roy. Bone marrow transplants save lives. Let's all remember Lee by registering as potential donors. 17% just doesn't do it!

August 10, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
  3. aj

I'm an atheist and I don't watch sports, but what you did was a good thing. You're a good man.

August 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  4. kevintimberlake

I lost my dad to cancer as well, and we were lucky enough to grant his last wish of meeting a WWF wrestler. This is so touching that he took the time to give this child a wish. I will be swabbed on Monday in his Lee Eddins memory. God Bless you all.

August 12, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  5. Mo

I lost my 28-year-old brother last year to acute leukemia. It is a devastating disease. I pray that this child's family can find strength and peace in this difficult time. It is so important to spread the word that donating "bone marrow" is just like giving blood, now. Doctors give donors a shot that makes their stem cells circulate in the blood. Their blood is then taken and the stem cells are sorted out and given to the cancer patient. It is a simple process, but can be the only hope for a person with cancer. Please join the registry. http://www.bethematch.com

August 12, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
  6. WarMachine99

Rest in peace, Lee.

August 14, 2012 at 7:11 am |
  7. y?

Aj- you are athiest, and want religion kept out? Then, why do you bring it up? What does athiesm or religion have to do with doing good deeds?

August 14, 2012 at 8:33 am |
  8. Sherry

Rest in peace Lee, Roy thanks for donating, what a wonderful thing your doing.

August 14, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  9. MrBob

Aj – be grateful for a good deed by someone – bringing up religion here has no bearing on the issue.

August 14, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
  10. SnafuBob

Rest in peace Lee, my thoughts for the family and friends. I have no idea what I would do if I lost my 12 year old son; I imagine the strength to hold on is unbearable. What Mr. Hibbert was attempting to accomplish is what athletes should do, they have a profound influence on children, something many aspire to become but most will never know. My hat off to you sir, I only wish others could step up and do the right thing as well; you set a wonderful example of what compassion is all about, regardless of religious affiliations.

August 14, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  11. Margie

Lee Eddins was an angel even before he was called to Heaven. A wonderful young man who cared about others; – his 2nd/other last wish was a gift (coordinated by Make-A-Wish) to Feed the Hungry in his community and this also came to pass the day "after." But I have to say that Roy Hibbert, with this story, has become a living shining example of what a true hero is and continuing the story of Lee on Earth. God Bless You, Roy. I know you're very humble, and maybe didn't want the attention, but it's a story that can save others. BE THE MATCH!

August 14, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
  12. Kelly Cunningham

My heart goes out to the child and his family. Plus what a great thing to do.

In answer to why the poster would bring up religion being an atheist, I would imagine it's because atheists and agnostics can be moral and kind people just as religous/spiritual people can.

August 15, 2012 at 5:53 am |
  13. Bernadette

Finally someone famous who thinks of someone other then them self.My heart goes out to the family Hope their son is at peace.

August 15, 2012 at 8:28 am |
  14. NICOLE

my heart and prayers go out to this family! I have to agree with the two post above what does being an athiest have to do with sports!!!!!!!!! anyhow i just had to ask too

August 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
  15. john

Your a good man, Roy Hibbert.

Strength & Honor

August 15, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  16. Rick

Feel bad for the boy, feel just as bad for Roy. Nothing hurts you more then knowing the fact you didn't make it in time.

August 16, 2012 at 2:29 am |
  17. Brenda

So sad.

August 16, 2012 at 8:51 am |
  18. sarah flannery

I lost my mom to leukemia, many years ago. To hear of a 12 year old child dying from this wretched disease is always heartbreaking. What lifts up your spirit reading this story is 1) how Lee thought of others, in those horrible last days.. and 2) the wonderful heart of this athlete, at a time when so many others are only concerned with themselves and what they can get! Lee, rest in peace.. and Mr. Hibbert, may G-d smile on you & your family for the rest of your lives.

August 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  19. Marci

Condolences to the family. Wonderful thing for Mr. Hibbert to do. I guess they will have to meet at another time and place

August 16, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  20. Bruce

Peace young man and thank you Roy for doing this...

August 16, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  21. kris

A bittersweet story. My thoughts are with this amazing family today. I appreciate Roy Hibbert, now I am also one of his fans. I am going to look up that website and see if I can be a match. Thank you for caring.

August 16, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  22. DP

I'm sure it still warmed the boy's heart to know Roy cared enough to commit to coming.

August 17, 2012 at 12:18 am |
  23. Lew

Poor thing :'o( My heart goes out to his family.

August 17, 2012 at 7:24 am |
  24. Ross

Wow. I have to admit that I cried during this video. Naturally, I cried for Lee, but I was as profoundly affected by the classiness and selflessness of Roy Hibbert. What a wonderful guy. I feel very badly for Roy, since he said in the video he was not able to see two relatives who previously died from cancer. It is kind of cruel and unfair that he didn't get to see this young boy before he passed. He will be a man of his word and adopt this cause. Way to go, Roy...you just reaffirmed my faith in humanity and the human condition!

August 17, 2012 at 8:39 am |
  25. A. Quatroni

Sad that a 12 year old has to die because the pharmaceutical companies want to maximize profits. Real sad. This world is doomed.

August 18, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  26. RadZap

Fine the guy for lack of Hustle.

August 19, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  27. teri000

I just saw this video and I cried all the way through. The timing is heartbreaking but I am so glad that Roy is going to be there for Lee's family. God works so many different ways and may He bless this family with strength and peace as they try to move forward.

August 20, 2012 at 1:43 am |
  28. sheila

God Bless you Roy. I know the family appreciates you.

August 20, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
  29. Agathos

Way to go, Roy!

God bless the family.

August 21, 2012 at 10:14 am |
  30. Chris

Thoughts and prayers for Lee and his family. We, here in the Indiana and in the Midwest, are lucky to see what Roy does on and off the court. Thankfully, everyone else in the country can see who Roy Hibbert is. Thank you CNN for writing about this story.

August 21, 2012 at 2:38 pm |
  31. sandy eckert

Such a sad, sad story. My prayers go out to this young man family.

August 24, 2012 at 9:46 am |
  32. JP

@Quatroni

Nice comment! Just had to ruin what was a nice tribute to this young man and Roy Hibbert. What did the pharmaceutical companies due ot kill this young guy or are you just ranting because you are so angry about something HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS ARTICLE.

August 27, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  33. gah

unless you know someone or love someone going through this, sometimes you tend to forget that there are things you can do to help. like other posters, i will be swabbed in lee eddins' memory and maybe, just maybe, one less story like this will need to be told.

August 28, 2012 at 11:16 am |
  34. Ghostdog

Deepest sympathies to the family. Thank you, Roy for trying to be there for Lee.

August 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  35. ab

My deepest sympathies to the family....just cried all the way through this video! Such a bitter sweet story! God Bless you Roy Hibbert!

September 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
  36. Jack

We can all do kind and generous acts like Roy Hibbert. So go to it – make a stranger's day through an act of kindness. And even though the press probably won't write a story about it – THANK YOU!

September 3, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
  37. rdspence49

Roy, kudos for doing what you did. You're obviously no Dwight Howard - and that's a good thing by the way - and here's wishing that you have a great season!

September 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
  38. bb

some of these comments are looney tunes....acting like all the other athletes are bad people. Athletes do stuff for people all the time you just dont hear about it. What Hibbert did was nice but he isnt the only athlete does nice things.

September 6, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
  39. jims

Hibbert is a good man. This is a really sad story

September 23, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  40. Name*Nikki

This is lil cousin, I think was so beautiful. May God Bless you because he knows your heart

February 13, 2017 at 7:35 pm |
  41. Increase Youtube Likes

I like this website very much so much fantastic information.

February 3, 2021 at 4:18 pm |