Today on CNN Newsroom

June 7th, 2013

Valedictorian breaks rules at graduation

CNN's Brooke Baldwin talks with valedictorian Roy Costner IV about his bold decision to break the rules at graduation.

Post by:
Filed under: Brooke Baldwin
  1. doug

Let me just be the first to say what an insensitive fool this young man is and how he has proven that being valedictorian at his school exemplifies the failure of standardized testing and the No Child Left Behind law.

June 21, 2013 at 11:56 pm |
  2. Dr. Mike

It is no coincidence that both freedom of speech and freedom of religion are both part of the First Amendment. Freedom of speech works both ways–for positions that we support and for speech we may find objectionable. By no means, is this young man "an insensitive fool", he seems to be a conscientious man with deep convictions and he is fully justified in his action by the Constitution. And for the record, I would feel the same if it was any other religion being sincerely expressed, I would be very uncomfortable with satanism but I would silently respect their rights.

June 22, 2013 at 10:18 am |
  3. osedaxx

This would have been a different story if he would have quoted the Quran. For all of you who think this was a good idea for this kid to do this, imagine how you would have felt if he started praising Mohammed. Thats how the rest of us feel when we see crap like this. Keep your beliefs of imaginary friends at home in private where they belong.

June 23, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
  4. Mike Smith

Not a big fan of the First Amendment, I see.

June 24, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
  5. Morgan

What an arrogant young man.

June 25, 2013 at 10:27 am |
  6. DonRoberto

Freedom of speech is a right under the Constitution, but like all rights, its free exercise should always be tempered with both caution and humility. This valedictorian apparently suffers from the same disorder that affects so many millions of others nowadays - the arrogant belief that there is no wisdom greater than what he himself currently possesses, and that the rightness of his beliefs is an absolute.

June 26, 2013 at 11:09 am |
  7. deepsea35

What an arrogant young man....not unlike John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John F. Kennedy, Teddy Roosevelt, Babe Ruth, Joe Namath, Oliver Hazard Perry, Robert E. Lee, George Patton, Martin Luther King Jr., Malcom X, Ronald Reagan, Etc. Etc. Etc. Just as fallible and human......but with a spine, some charisma, a belief in something greater, and a willingness to work for it. Yes, arrogant indeed. Good thing America doesn't produce many young men like this.....

June 27, 2013 at 6:58 am |
  8. Doug

deepsea35: Just because the Constitution guarantees freedom of speech and religion, it doesn't mean you can say anything you want at any time. He's at a public high school, and that means "no religion". Everyone else in that graduating class was guaranteed FREEDOM FROM religion.

There is a difference between smart and arrogant. All of the people you mentioned were brilliant men, but I don't anyone would truthfully characterize any of them as arrogant.

June 27, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
  9. Charles

Bravo Sir.

Put prayer back in the schools. It worked for 200+ years....the last 20 in USA have been CRAP....

June 27, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
  10. Greg

Excellent – another victory for freedom of speech. Normally I'm in favor of obeying the law – when the laws are just. In this case – if there is a rule that attempts to censor content of speech, then by all means, break that rule as often a possible!

June 27, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
  11. Ralphie

I am a Christian and I find this young man full of arrogance and sanctimony.
    What he said would be fine at a private, white, Christian school like they have in the South (yes, I am a Southerner).
    It is NOT appropriate representing the whole student body at a graduation ceremony of a public school.
    Learn some manners. Learn some empathy. Learn some humbleness.
    Or write down your beliefs on paper and pass it out in the parking lot.

June 28, 2013 at 7:57 am |
  12. memoriesandlife

Awesome! It is great he stood up for his beliefs. Yes, freedom of speech goes both ways. He was entitled to say the Lord's Prayer. Our daily practice in school once was to start our day with the Lord's Prayer and Pledge of Allegiance which includes "One Nation under God, Indivisible with LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL". We have taken these out of the schools...and now we are a nation more divided than ever. I am surrounded by those on the far left and the far right that spew hatred for everyone that thinks differently than they do....unbelievable. Those of us in the middle are cursed and crushed by both sides because we have beliefs and principles that they fail to understand. Thanks to this young man. I wish him well.

June 28, 2013 at 8:29 am |
  13. caw

A valedictorian speaks for his entire class, not just himself. What he did was inexcusable. Yes he has the LEGAL right to do it, but he didn't have the moral right.

Guess it shows that intelligence doesn't mean wisdom.

June 28, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
  14. Eli

There is a big difference between expressing personal declarations of faith and imposing them on an unsuspecting audience. This young man foolishly put a declaration of his faith ahead of his concern for others' comfort, an ironically un-Christian thing to do.

What also leaves a bad taste in my mouth is that this young man seems to buy into the idea that as a Christian, he is oppressed. That's ridiculous. We Christians have been free to practice our faith since this country's founding, if not before. That we have become a more diverse country, w/ greater awareness and sensitivities, is not oppression to any Christian who truly respects his or her fellow human being.

June 29, 2013 at 9:56 am |
  15. Charlie

What surprises me the most is that it's ok to show affection in public if you are gay, it's fine to have same sex marriages
    It's considered brave a courageous to stand up for individual rights. With the exception of saying things that make the left leaning progressives uncomfortable . Let the young man believe what he wants and say what he wants. Just like every other group does! We all have to have the courage to listen to what other people believe. What some people consider insensitive others find truthful and courageous. That is what America is all about. God Bless America!

June 29, 2013 at 10:12 am |
  16. mommi

Freedom of speech is not all encompassing. There are limits and although I don't believe that the Lord's prayer is offensive, I think that schools do have an obligation to monitor the content of graduation speeches. Although the speakers may be the brightest of their class, they are still children in many ways and are prone to childish behavior (such as airing grievances in an inappropriate forum). They, school officials, have an obligation to everyone, to keep the ceremony an event for all of those attending, not just one child proving a point and snubbing their nose at many who helped him or her get to that point. There were many ways that he could made his point that wouldn't have been against policy, but he chose to showboat and polarize.

June 29, 2013 at 10:26 am |
  17. Jon Rogers

What a disgusting little twerp.

July 1, 2013 at 12:14 am |
  18. vrim

@Charles
    If prayer in schools "worked" for 200 years, slavery would have ended in the 1780's instead of the 1860's.

July 1, 2013 at 12:31 am |
  19. Yes

Free speech still lives where those dare.. If he would have said he was coming out of a gay closet, worshiping the phalix god that would have been ok? Things are upside down in this country!

July 1, 2013 at 4:11 am |
  20. Jimi Hendrix

kudos to this young man, fight the good fight

July 1, 2013 at 6:01 am |
  21. Darrell

Who cares? People sleep through these things anyway.

July 1, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
  22. Clllaw

He is brave man!!! We need more of like him that will stand always for the TRUTH especially in this kind of generation that are selfish, greedy and lovers of themselves.

July 1, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
  23. Brave?

He can believe what he wants, and frankly say what he wants. BUT, if I stood up and talked about Atheism would that have been brave too? It would have been inappropriate philosophical spam just as this. And although he has the right to do this, I have the right to heckle him!

July 2, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
  24. Jared

If i was in his graduating class, i woulda broken the rules too and walked out when i heard that prayer starting

July 3, 2013 at 4:41 am |
  25. Barbara

Eli – You are wrong! If you read The Bible, what he did by saying the Lord's Prayer is exactly what Christ had told us to do – to profess Him and spread the word – Christ said "Go and teach all nations....." So what the Valedictorian said was actually the Christian thing to do – not the un-Christian thing to do.

July 3, 2013 at 11:32 pm |
  26. Patrick

It was real Christian of him to lie and deceive the administrators by writing a speech which he never intended to recite. If he was concerned about his faith he should have said something like, "I wanted to thank God up here, but since that's against the rules, I will abstain from giving a speech, Thank you." The graduation ceremony is not his "mountain" to "go tell it on." Instead, he turned his love of God into a selfish, self-serving proclamation. I guess someone taught him that Christians don't have to play by the rules.

July 5, 2013 at 7:00 am |
  27. fredisdead

why vilify the young man for just saying what he feels about his faith? respect people's religion!

July 5, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
  28. mickey blakeman

I feel that he did a brave thing, but I think that all religions should be able to speek of their faith without fear , at school , work and play, I am a christian and love God and christ with all my hart, but I have read everybook that other religions have given me and I myself think we should all be able to talk about our beliefs with people of every faith and no faith at all , it should be everyones right to talk of what they belive even if it is that there is no god of any kind, it is what our country is bilt on, I live in a country that has all religions living closely togather and we all get along at least on my island in the philippines, it is the one thing I will miss the most when we move back to the USA, PEOPLE THAT TRY TO GET ALONG AND THAT IS NOT OFFENDED IF EVERYONE DONT BELIVE JUST LIKE THEM
    YES I EVEN HAVE FRIENDS THAT DONT BELIVE IN ANY GOD

July 6, 2013 at 7:28 am |
  29. personal training Long Island

Breaking the rules in life is ok! Winners want the ball and often go against the grain!

January 19, 2014 at 7:28 pm |
  30. erectile dysfunction

erectile incontinence
    erectile wow video
    erectile function after urethralplasty

November 26, 2020 at 5:45 pm |
  31. BuffStreams

969961 346913brilliantly insightful post. If only it was as straightforward to implement some with the solutions as it was to read and nod my head at each of your points 612165

January 5, 2021 at 12:45 pm |
  32. mơ thấy đỉa bám đầy người

271998 629693Rattling clean internet site , thanks for this post. 637331

January 5, 2021 at 6:53 pm |
  33. làm gì khi người yêu cũ muốn quay lại

948145 255370Hi there, just became aware of your blog via Google, and discovered that it is actually informative. Im gonna watch out for brussels. Ill be grateful in the event you continue this in future. A lot of men and women is going to be benefited from your writing. Cheers! 560291

January 5, 2021 at 9:28 pm |
  34. mơ thấy bướm phụ nữ

825244 496473I was reading some of your content on this site and I conceive this internet site is really informative ! Keep on putting up. 664984

January 6, 2021 at 7:34 pm |
  35. nằm mơ thấy gái

869666 624460The next time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as considerably as this 1. I mean, I do know it was my choice to read, even so I really thought youd have something attention-grabbing to say. All I hear can be a bunch of whining about something which you could fix for people who werent too busy in search of attention. 297422

January 6, 2021 at 9:03 pm |
  36. Green Mountain Energy

832331 161857quite excellent put up, i actually really like this internet website, maintain on it 533963

January 9, 2021 at 6:08 pm |
  37. https://jacksontnpainters.com/

320900 859042Naturally I like your web-site, nonetheless you require to check the spelling on several of your posts. A lot of of them are rife with spelling problems and I discover it very silly to inform you. On the other hand I will undoubtedly come once again once again! 796013

January 11, 2021 at 9:03 pm |
  38. dewaqq

669927 170288Hi there! Do you use Twitter? Id like to follow you if that would be ok. Im undoubtedly enjoying your weblog and look forward to new posts. 908333

January 12, 2021 at 6:51 am |
  39. lace front wigs

467263 129778This site is genuinely a walk-through it truly could be the details you wanted concerning this and didnt know who to inquire about. Glimpse here, and youll completely discover it. 349198

January 16, 2021 at 3:34 pm |
  40. Jerold Petula

Local Law 196 is a NYC DOB law that requires workers and supervisors at most NYC construction sites to obtain a SST card by completing specific courses through a NYC DOB approved training provider. Able Safety offers multiple packages to complete this training at great low prices. All our SST classes can be completed entirely online from any device (phone, tablet, pc/mac). The NYC DOB’s SST compliance deadline was originally set for September 1st 2020. The deadline has since been extended to March 1st 2021. By this date you will need the following to be allowed to work on most construction sites in NYC.

January 17, 2021 at 7:46 pm |
  41. HP Compaq Business Desktop dx2000 manuals

317540 356823so considerably good information on here, : D. 522004

January 21, 2021 at 12:12 am |
  42. lace front wigs

391691 379952I consider something really unique in this site . 748544

January 22, 2021 at 12:23 am |
  43. Dahlia Mcdonal

hello!,I like your writing so a lot! share we be in contact extra approximately your post on AOL? I require an expert on this house to solve my problem. Maybe that's you! Looking ahead to look you.

January 28, 2021 at 10:09 pm |
  44. Youtube Views

Very nice layout and superb content, nothing at all else we need : D.

February 3, 2021 at 2:39 pm |
  45. more info here

659743 501941Every e-mail you send ought to have your signature with the link to your web internet site or weblog. That typically brings in some visitors. 848894

February 9, 2021 at 5:23 pm |
  46. tadalafil 40 mg daily

v tada super https://tadalisxs.com/ tadalafil peptide

February 11, 2021 at 8:12 am |
  47. plaquenil and diarrhea

erectile capacity https://plaquenilx.com/ what cause erectile dysfunction

February 11, 2021 at 8:25 am |
  48. buy chloroquine online canada

choloquine https://chloroquineorigin.com/ chrloroquine

February 11, 2021 at 8:56 am |
  49. zithromax online canada

zithromax antibiotico https://zithromaxes.com/ zithromax antibiotico

February 11, 2021 at 10:44 am |
  50. Tow Tracy CA

472457 286842Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much effort you place to create any such excellent informative website. 962028

February 15, 2021 at 5:18 am |